Welcome To Anthony
Anthony is a community that straddles the state lines of New Mexico and Texas. It is affectionately referred to as “the best little city in two states”.
In 1881, the Santa Fe Railroad located a train depot on the Texas side of the state line and called it La Tuna, due to the large number of prickly pear cactus that grew in the area. In Spanish the prickly pear is called “la tuna”.
Situated half way between the cities of El Paso, TX and Las Cruces, NM, the New Mexico side was at one time called Halfway House. There is some controversy as to how the current name came about; some say it was from a local woman who established a chapel in her home dedicated to San Antonio, others say the name was given by a priest who established a church there. Whatever the source, in 1884 the Anthony, New Mexico post office was established.
In 1952, the town on the Texas side was incorporated as Anthony, Texas. A federal prison located nearby still carries the name of La Tuna.
In 1988 the Anthony Chamber of Commerce named the town the Leap Year Capital of the World and holds a celebration every February 29th.
Traditionally, the New Mexico side was governed by the county of Doña Ana, but in January 2010, Anthony, New Mexico residents voted in favor of incorporation and the new municipality will become official in July 2010
Because of it’s location in the Rio Grande Mesilla Valley, there has been a long association with agriculture. The area produces crops such as cotton, alfalfa, pecans, onions, lettuce, chile and wine grapes. The area also hosts numerous dairies.
Anthony, TX was estimated to have a population of 4,117 in 2008 and Anthony, New Mexico had a population of 7,904 in the 2000 census. Surrounded by numerous small communities, the area population is estimated to be over 15,000.